Transporting two Kettwiesels

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Transporting two Kettwiesels

I'm brand new to the recumbent world, but have been researching the purchase of a recumbent tandem trike so that I can ride with son who just turned 5-years old and who has mild cerebral palsy. My take so far, is that the Kettwiesel is the best choice. My son's gross motor skills are improving and he is actually pretty strong, but he still has and will likely have balance issues, possibly all of his life. He's 46 inches tall, which is quite tall for his age.

I know that the Pino has been a popular bike in some of these situations, but I'd also like for him to be able to ultimately ride independently (uncoupled) at the right locations. Any hints by people who have been down this road before or who know someone who may have suggestions would be appreciated.

I am also concerned about breaking the bike down for transport in a trailer or in the back of an SUV. I'm trying to find out just how difficult it is to pack it fairly small after a ride, or how just small it can all be broken down. Maybe I should just plan on hauling the bikes in trailer...

Thanks in advance
      :)
    • We have a Kettwiesel and an Anura, so it is just about the same situation as transporting two Ketts. We have a Honda Odyssey Van and they both fit in the van with the middle seats removed and the back seat folded into the floor. I put the first trike in with the rear wheels towards the front seat and the second trike in front wheel first. That way both booms overlap each other and they fit easily. They are actual easier to transport than our two long wheelbase recumbents which have to be tied down to prevent them from falling over. With the trikes you just lock the brakes. I imagine you could fit them in an SUV with the seats down, if it is a large SUV. I am also sure they could be hauled on the right type of trailer. We do most of our riding from our house so hauling is a rarity for us.

The Kettwiesel is not an easy trike to break down. I purchased mine unassembled and it took quite a while to put it together. About the only way to break it down is to remove the boom. The boom is long, it is not like a tadpole boom. You would need to remove the front wheel, take the chain off the chainwheel, if you have a front derailleur you would need to remove the cable, and you would also have to remove the steering rod. You then loosen two bolts and pull the boom out of the trike body. I could see maybe doing this if you were going to travel somewhere and take your trike for a two week vacation, but it would be a lot of trouble for a day trip.
    • Thanks so much for your comments... Most of the time we will also ride from home and back, but I plan on doing long weekend trips that require some driving. Trying to not lug around a trailer that's too big (orcatrailers.com/orcapics.html ). Your input has been very helpful as I think I will try place them in our SUV or trailer facing opposite directions, as I would also rather spend my time enjoying the bike rather than assembling.

Have a good day
    • Hauling 2 Ketts

Hello - we bought two Ketts. One is a handcrank, as I'm paralysed, and the other is a regular one. We also faced the challenge of transporting them and have 2 solutions.

If we're just going somewhere locally then we use our trailer and put them both in. It really couldn't be easier, and there's lots of space for them.

But on longer drives, such as a couple of recent trips to France (from UK) we put the handcrank in the back of my Honda Accord - fits in with half the back seats down and the front wheel taken off - and the other goes on a Thule Tow Hitch Bike Rack. Locks in place and all has been very stable and efficient. The bike rack tilts as well, giving access into the boot if we need to get anything.

Transporting 2 Hase Kettweisels.jpg