Pino bottom bracket (Tretlager) adjustment

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Pino bottom bracket (Tretlager) adjustment

I've a Pino titanium (2008) with a loose bottom bracket - this one has the freewheel integrated with the spindle, unlike the later models with the freewheel in the crank.

Is it possible to adjust this bottom bracket? The manual has instructions for removing it and a technical drawing, but it doesn't appear to have a lock-ring as I'd expect for conventional cup and cone brackets.

Alternatively, is it possible to replace the ball bearings on this type of bracket?

Thanks in advance,

Robert
    • I'll give the tightening a try - I guess Park's BBT-7 (parktool.com/product/lockring-wrench-bbt-7) will fit on both sides.

My crude attempts to read some German forums (via Google Chrome's translation) suggested that some had replaced the bottom bracket and left hand crank with the later ordinary bottom bracket and unusual crank (with freewheel), but this seemed to be due to freewheel failures rather than bottom bracket issues.

Are the bearings and race available from Hase, or are they standard (bicycle?) parts?

The UK dealers don't appear to have experience of this, so I'm assuming these parts don't wear out very often!

Thanks for your help

Robert
    • Following up to myself for the benefit of others - there were two sealed bearings held in with a spacer and circlip. The bearings are 17x30x7mm (inside diameter, outside diameter, width) with rubber seals - easily available from bearing suppliers (and some online bicycle shops). I splashed out on some branded bearings (SKF 69032RS1), in the hope that I wouldn't need to go near them for longer...

That said, the play in the old bearings was very little - the bike was making strange noises, hence the work. Given the noise, I'd expected to find the bearings in pieces but they were probably fine for many miles yet. Now to investigate the Rohloff instead...

:-(

Robert
    • I'd reassembled the bottom bracket before reading your post, and given the difficulty in removing the plastic ends, I'd prefer to leave it!

The spacer, however, was very neatly fitted such that the circlip is butted up tight against the spacer.

There's still a little play in the bottom bracket, but I can live with that. The horrible noises were resolved by either an oil change or a new rear chain, carefully cut to the length specified in the manual. Unfortunately I did both things together, so I can't say definitively which worked, but I've now got a happy Pino again!

Thanks for your help,

Robert