Stoker Gearing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Stoker Gearing

Hello all -

My wife and I recently took delivery of our new Pino Allround. We had rented one to try out the tandem.

It's perfect for us, except for one thing. The stoker, Mary, is geared too low. She is often spinning madly while the captain, Mark, is comfortable. We have the most problems when on the flats or slight downhills.

It appears that the original front and rear chain rings for the stoker are 38 teeth.

The the shop has put a 42 tooth front chain ring that required a new 165 crank. The chain tubes will need to be moved.

This still hasn't done the trick. I think that we're going to try a smaller rear chainring next.

Are there gearing combinations that are recommended for strong stokers, or am I missing something?

I'd like to get the original crank and chainring back on the front if we can fix this with the rear chain ring.

Thanks! Mark
    • Changing the rear chainring will be a problem, because it includes the freewheel. Why did you need a new crank when you changed the chainring?
      If 42 is still not enogh, then I think the solution is quite obvious: 44 or more teeth. Nobody other than you or your wife can know what may be right.
      Kettwiesel AL mit Rohloff und Differential
    • > Changing the rear chainring will be a problem, because it includes the freewheel.

Thanks for the advice. OK, we'll fix if from the front.

> Why did you need a new crank when you changed the chainring?

The original equipment crank will not accommodate a larger chain ring than the 38 that comes on the bike.

> If 42 is still not enogh, then I think the solution is quite obvious: 44 or more teeth.

That's what we'll have to do. I'm trying to avoid the other obvious solution - get a stronger captain!

> Nobody other than you or your wife can know what may be right.

Yep, but I was interested in learning what other people had done, and to see if Hase had an opinion.

Thanks, Mark
    • I'm riding with a disabled 16 years old. He is pretty strong but develop his power around 65 rpm. I like to ride in the 85 rpm zone. Would it be possible to give me some link of what I should look for to replicate this modification? It would make my day! Thanks

Fred
      frederic.cyr (to) videotron (dot) ca