Custom Pino Hardware for attaching steering to 2014 Spinner GRIND fork

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Custom Pino Hardware for attaching steering to 2014 Spinner GRIND fork

The 2007 Spinner Grind fork that came with our Mk2 Pino has just about given up the ghost. I'd like to replace it with a higher quality 2014 Spinner Grind fork.

There's an option to get a remote lockout, which would use up the left fork crown that Hase's old steering arm attachment fit into.

spinner-usa.com/en/products/?method=detail&aid=436

So how does Hase mount the steering arm to the new Spinner forks? Can I buy mounting hardware from Hase, or should I make my own?

EDIT: I made my own, and am selling extras. If you want to convert a Pino 2 Steel from 1" to 1-1/8" headset, contact me.

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/RVUZICMl.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/JPiU78vl.jpg]

The post was edited 4 times, last by anthill ().

• This is how Hase mounts all forks at the moment:

It's kind of an adapter that comes between the ford crown and the headset baseplate. But it actually requires an extra hole to be drilled into the fork's crown.
      Getting this Adapter and the necessary fron part of the steering should be possible as a spare part via a Hase dealer.
      Kettwiesel AL mit Rohloff und Differential
    • Thanks for the screenshot Spawn. I've asked my local Hase vendor about it. They asked me to confirm that the steer tube of the existing fork is 1". I hadn't considered that it might be that size... seems unreasonable for a tandem.

I could try taking apart the headset to get a proper measurement, but I don't suppose you know what the Mk2 Steel pino frame uses?
    • Stephan Moldenhauer wrote:

If a Aheadset is mounted you need a 1 1/8 fork and if it´s a threaded headset you need a 1" fork.

Sorry, now I'm really confused! Do you mean that the Mk2 Pino Steel came in two different versions with different head tube sizes?

Or do you mean that it's possible to fit either a 1-1/8 threadless or an 1" threaded headset into the same head tube? This I have never heard of.

I thought that 1" threaded headsets used a 30mm head tube inside diameter, and 1-1/8" threadless headsets used a 34mm head tube ID.

Since it's way easier to find 1-1/8" forks, I'm happy to replace the headset with 1-1/8" if possible.

I've attached a photo of a Pino that has a headset just like ours. Does this clarify anything?
      Images
      • 2393751320_38a048509d.jpg

203.35 kB, 500×375, viewed 19,021 times
    • no, you can"t replace one with the other.
      I guess, Stephan just wanted to avoid talking about "Mk2" as for some people it might not be clear which one that is.
      So Pinos with a threaded headset (like yours) need a fork with 1" tube. If you want to switch from threaded headset to ahead while swapping the fork this is probably possible, but you'll need a new headset and something to replace the not existing stem to prevent the fork from falling out. The cap of the headset is probably not enough. But a seatclamp with matching diameter works fine.
    • OK, so if I understand this right:

• The Pino Steel has a 30mm inside-diameter head tube and a 1" threaded headset.
      • I could convert it to 1" threadless, with a suitable stem clamp replacement.
      • It's impossible to change the headset to 1-1/8", because the head tube is too small?

Strange, because in the photos, it almost looks like the Pino is using a ZeroStack 44mm inside diameter head tube!
      Images
      • Headset.jpg

234.92 kB, 934×545, viewed 768 times

The post was edited 4 times, last by anthill ().

• anthill wrote:

OK, so if I understand this right:

• The Pino Steel has a 30mm inside-diameter head tube and a 1" threaded headset.
      • I could convert it to 1" threadless, with a suitable stem clamp replacement.
      • It's impossible to change the headset to 1-1/8", because the head tube is too small?

correct (afaik)

anthil wrote:

Strange, because in the photos, it almost looks like the Pino is using a ZeroStack 44mm inside diameter head tube!

Correct. But the frame is not the same. At least the headtube can't be.
    • So I've still been delaying on going to the shop to get this looked at. For the next person who comes along, here's the (rough) measurements of the (assembled) headset.

• About 47mm head tube OD,
      • Less than < 40mm aluminum spacer ID.
      • Axle-to-Crown on the Grind fork is about 350mm,

and as far as I can see the headset is 1" integrated, pressed into aluminum inserts that are in turn pressed into the frame (?)

So unique a setup! Hope I can find a replacement headset to fit a 1-1/8" steer tube fork...

Does the Pino Steel have a 44mm inside diameter head tube?
      Images
      • Fork_20140916_212628 (Medium).jpg

96.87 kB, 0×0, viewed 235,751 times
      • Fork_20140916_212718 (Medium).jpg

84.74 kB, 0×0, viewed 235,650 times
      • Fork_20140916_212930 (Medium).jpg

88.15 kB, 0×0, viewed 235,750 times

The post was edited 3 times, last by anthill ().

• Answering my own question for the benefit of other readers. I discovered the Pino 2 Steel has:

[*]a head tube inside diameter of 44mm
      [*]a 1" threaded headset with some of the toughest looking bearings I've ever seen
      [*]aluminum integrated headset cups pressed in, with what looks like Red Loctite but is probably just paint flakes

I successfully replaced the Pino 2 Steel's headset to fit a MEKS Carbon fork with a 1-1/8" threadless steer tube. I was careful to use strong, strong components - a 1.5" lower external bearing. The extra stack height from the external bearing and the steering arm gives 50mm clearance between the fork crown and the stoker boom, so hopefully no interference.

See my fork replacement album here.

I am selling stainless steel press-fit head race steering arms to convert a Pino 2 Steel from a Spinner GRIND fork to a modern 1-1/8" suspension fork. Contact me!

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/pKUaTYnb.jpg]